Thursday, July 9, 2009

You Know You're in HR When...


This is now week four for me, and I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of things. When the Recruiter asks me to do a reference check on someone, it’s no problem! And on the plus side, I found out that I really do like doing Human Resources work…listening in on phone interviews, doing reference checks, reviewing resumes, etc. And it’s pretty nice to find that out since I’ll probably be doing it for the rest of my life…well, at least for the next 5 years I’m guessing. And you definitely know you’re in HR when the other interns start coming to you about the company dress code and when they give you a hard time about the blogging and social networking policies you write. Oh well…all part of the world of HR!

As for my projects, this week has been almost entirely focused on the new applicant tracking system that Equity Trust will put into place next month. It’s a great system that’s really going to help the recruiting process by consolidating all the candidate, requisition, and user information in one place. However, like any new system, it’s definitely got some kinks. And I’m the one who’s assigned to figure them out, which is pretty exciting. Like I mentioned before, the staff here at Equity Trust really does trust you to be a problem solver and help the company. As long as the tech people from this certain company call me back, we’re good to go. If not…someone is definitely going to be leaving a lot of messages on their phone lines. Respectful, professional messages…but still.

To keep me busy while waiting for the company to call back, the HR team and I are sitting in on 3-4 hour training sessions on the system. It can get long, but here and there I find some really helpful information about the system. We’ve also started to upload resumes into the system and although it doesn’t sound that exciting, it’s a recruiter’s dream come true. And if you’re worried about the earth, be happy, because this computerized system is going to be saving some trees too.

On another note, once again Equity Trust is putting on another fun event for the intern and leadership trainees tonight. This time, we’re going to enjoy a happy hour with the Leadership team at Champ’s bar and grill. Although I won’t be partaking in the “happy” part of happy hour, I’m still looking forward to networking with the leaders and a nice, refreshing Diet Coke (or maybe a virgin piña colada….I haven’t decided yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment