Friday, July 10, 2009

Week 8

Hello, my name is Emily Steffensen. I am the accounting intern here at Equity Trust Company. I am a junior at Northern State University in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Yes, South Dakota. Now you may be wondering, "How did she end up in Ohio at Equity Trust Company?" Well, Equity Trust Company was granted a trust charter from the State of South Dakota in 2003, which enabled them to expand their business. Because of this, Equity Trust Company has relations within South Dakota, and that is how I ended up here.

My mentor while here at Equity Trust Company is the CFO of the company. I also work very closely with the accounting controller. My internship responsibilities are very hands-on activities. I pay accounts payable invoices every week, key journal entries into the accounting software, and help prepare the month end financial statements. I generally do what an entry level accountant does. It is not very often in an internship where you have those opportunities! I am having so much fun working with the accounting department, the other interns, and all employees at Equity Trust Company!

Yesterday, the interns and leadership trainees had happy hour with the Leadership Team at Champps. Although all of the interns are not 21, the event was a lot of fun. When Equity Trust Company has employee events, they go all out! The HR Director made sure everybody had enough to eat! She ordered one of every appetizer on their menu. Afterwords, some of us even had extremely large desserts!

I am having such a good time in Ohio and at Equity Trust Company. The internship experience is truly unique. It is definitely going to be hard for me to go back to South Dakota!

No comments:

Post a Comment