Friday, July 13, 2012

My Time At ETC So Far

     Equity Trust Company is an awesome company. I've been here since the beginning of May and I've loved every minute of it! I've been kept busy though for the past week or so, so I'm just finally getting around to my first post on this blog. I am the Summer Computer Networking Intern here at ETC. My supervisor, John Moses, has been assigning me little projects since I started here. For my first project, I had to create an imaging server using the open-source imaging solution FOG to make computer deployment a more efficient process. After doing almost everything I could with that, he has moved me on to another project in cleaning up the Active Directory and updating employee information. I've been working with Tiffany from Human Resources to get the information I need. She's been a great help.

     Updating Active Directory has been a little more interesting then my previous project because I've had the opportunity to talk to a large number of ETC employees I probably never would have spoken to. When there is information missing from the reports given to me to update employee information in Active Directory, I have often had to call and speak with them or send them an email to get this information. Now when I receive company-wide emails, I can often remember the names of the people in the email from when I have spoken to them, which is kind of neat. I have also been helping Jessica with technical support, since she has been in Elyria for the past two weeks. That has also been a great way to meet some of my fellow employees. I will most likely finish up working on Active Directory today. I'm excited about what is in store for my next project from John. He has mentioned in the past that he wants me to organize all the crazy wiring on the server racks, so that could be next.

    ETC has such a great atmosphere to work in. Everything is laid back. The business casual dress code is great (we even get to wear shorts when it's hot in Fridays!). We get an hour lunch break every day, and sometimes we even get free food from a catered cookout provided by ETC in the parking lot! I've also had the pleasure of going out to eat and to an Indian's game with all of my fellow ETC employees paid for by the company. It was an awesome way to get to know everyone.

     I'm excited about what's in store the next couple of weeks. My internship is supposed to end around the beginning in August, but I'd be more than willing to stay a bit longer if I was offered. We'll just have to see how that goes...Hopefully the rest of my time at ETC will be just as great as it has been so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment