Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First week as an HR Intern at ETC!



      This is actually my third week on the job as an HR Intern at Equity Trust Company. I was having some technical issues with my Google account, but now everything is good to go thanks to our Marketing Intern, Keith! Luckily, I have been keeping a journal for the online course I am taking in conjunction with this internship to receive credit for my major, so I won't be too far behind.

Here's what I wrote to my professor regarding my first week here at ETC:

      My first week as a Human Resources Intern for Equity Trust Company has been great! My supervisors have quickly made me feel at home. Despite having only been here for a few days, I feel very comfortable working with everyone. The HR department is fun and energetic, which makes for a comfortable and entertaining work environment. The dress code is casual, which makes for an even more laid back atmosphere.
      On Mondays and Thursdays, I will be at the Elyria location, while on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I will be in Berea. 
      In Elyria, I will be working with Tiffany and Andy. Tiffany has been at a conference in Atlanta, so I won't be able to work with her until next week. Fun fact: Tiffany is also a Mount Union Purple Raider and was in my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. Pretty cool! Andy is definitely a jokester. From day one I could tell that I was going to be entertained. He is a Baldwin-Wallace grad, which means there will certainly be a rivalry! I need Tiffany to return from her conference so we can team up on him!
      In Berea I will be working with Jessica. She was also an intern at ETC when she was in college, so it's fun getting to work with her. It sounds like she has some big projects planned for me, and I'm excited to get started!   
      The HR department has really held true to what they told me during my interview for this position: there would be no mindless tasks involved. This is not your average internship where filing or paperwork make up the majority of day to day work. I really like that my supervisors rely on me to complete important tasks. I have a lot of freedom and can request more entertaining or difficult projects at any time. I really appreciate how trusting my supervisors are of me.
      I am amazed by how quickly a full work day goes by! I really didn't know what to expect, seeing as I've never worked a traditional, full work day in an office environment. I anticipated watching the clock and feeling anxious for the day to end. Surprisingly, that is not the case at all. I actually enjoy waking up early and coming to work here!



No comments:

Post a Comment